So, you’ve finally moved into that apartment that you’ve been so crazy about. It’s time to get into decoration mode! Let’s start with what type of floors to include, shall we? Great!
Similar to the majority of area rugs, silk rugs can elevate the suaveness and stylishness of your space. A unique feature of silk rugs is their composition of water and protein which makes them more susceptible to damage when compared to other rugs.
Because of the unique feature of silk rugs, you must observe great care when cleaning them. In all honesty, I’d suggest hiring professional cleaners to prevent any possibility of damage, but I’ll go ahead and share some tips on how to conduct your own cleaning.
Tips for Maintaining Silk Rugs
- Getting rid of dust and debris.
- Vacuum regularly. Vacuum with a brushless suction head. Using beaters or roller brushes may cause the fibers to be uprooted, resulting in the partial or total deterioration of the rug.
- Sweep with a soft broom to avoid damage to fibers.
- Thoroughly shake the rug. Shake the rug outside to get rid of concealed dust or debris.
- Removing stains from your silk rugs. When removing dry stains, the liquid should not be used. Well, I don’t recommend using any.
For wet stains, blot the area then treat with water. Be mindful that silk rugs are sensitive to hot water and might cause the proteins to become degraded. This may cause the rug to become partially or completely damaged.
To remove stains:
- Treat stains as soon as possible.
- Use a spoon to remove solid spills. Just gently scoop up the debris from the rug. Be careful not to be too harsh, though. Remember that the fibers are very sensitive.
- To clean liquid stains, gently add pressure to the area, then absorb most or all of the liquid with a clean white cloth.
- Apply equal amounts of water and vinegar to the stained area. Pour the mixture on a cloth and use it to blot the stain. Next, absorb the excess water with a dry cloth and let it air dry.
Silk rugs are a great addition to your home. In fact, they can really beautify your home with amazing colors and designs. Due to their protein and water compounds, they can be damaged very easily. Because of this, you must be very careful when cleaning them. Good luck!