Cleaning your grout is the best way of keeping your tile floors looking fresh and clean. However, this can be very tricky due to the permeability of grout.
Even after a good sweeping, dirt, dust, and crumbs may be left behind on your floors. Besides, grout lines are often fairly deeper in comparison to the surface, causing you to bypass spots after a quick wipe.
Fret not, though. There’s light at the end of the tunnel. You can always fight dirty grout by using common household products. Here are some ways that you can go about cleaning your grout.
Cleaning Tips for Grout Maintenance
Whether you opt to employ natural or commercial cleaning, it is important to wipe the area with a wet cloth first before using any cleaning product.
A natural solution to cleaning your grout is water and baking soda. To do this:
- Combine a solution of water and baking soda in a 1-to-2 ratio.
- Use an old toothbrush or a suitable grout brush to apply the solution to the grout lines. (Use an old electrical toothbrush for extreme scrubbing power.)
- Clean the grout lines properly then use water to rinse the area.
If you observe any discoloration or stains on your grout, then:
- Use vinegar instead of water along with baking soda. (Be careful that it doesn’t foam over.)
- Apply this solution to the grout lines and let it stay there for a couple minutes prior to scrubbing.
- Rinse well.
NOTE: If you have tiles that are coarse (for example, marble tiles), try the solution in an unnoticeable area because the acidity of the vinegar might cause your tiles to become stained. A less acidic replacement could be Hydrogen Peroxide.
In using the Hydrogen Peroxide:
- Create a 1-to-2 mixture of peroxide and baking soda.
- Smear the mixture on your grout then scrub, and rinse. You can always use commercial cleaning products to achieve almost the same results. Just ensure that you act in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines.
Regardless of your cleaning option, you should let the grout dry for an entire day then use a sealer to preserve your efforts.
Dirty grout can significantly impact how well your tile floors appear in your home, office, or anywhere you have this
amazing flooring option. Whether you decide to use natural or commercial products, the overall appearance, and durability of your grout will greatly improve. Happy cleaning!