If you want to take your home’s décor to the next level, investing in some quality area rugs is the way to go! Area rugs help to add panache and warmth to your home, creating an atmosphere of happiness and relaxation.
Thinking about throwing a slumber party, or having movie night this Friday? Great! Area rugs provide soft areas for fun-filled activities and great enjoyment.
In order for your area rugs to last for years, and years, and years, they need to maintained – no doubt about it! Maintenance may require professional cleaning or you can do it yourself, if you think you have what it takes.
To help you out a bit, I’ll explain some easy steps that you can follow to clean your area rugs. Enjoy!
Steps for Cleaning Area Rugs
What you’ll need:
- Sponge -Soft-bristled brush
- Rubber gloves (optional) – Squeegee
- Vacuum – Sponge
- Water (in large amounts; preferably from a hose)
- Rug shampoo or mild dish detergent
- Get the rug prepared. Firstly, properly vacuum the rug on either sides to get rid of any loose dirt that may be present.
- Test to see if the rug’s color is fading or running.If so, purchase a rug shampoo and follow the mixing guide or create a combination of dish detergent and warm water.
NOTE:If you use hot water the rug’s fibers may shrink or the colors may dwindle.
Try the mixture on a small area on the rug, preferably somewhere that is not very visible. If you see that the colors fade, discontinue! However, if there’s no running, continue to the next step.
- Use a soft sponge to create a foam of soap and work it into the rug as deep as possible.
- Leave the mixture to absorb into the rug then rinse after a couple minutes of grinding. In rinsing the rug, you’ll want to make use of a hose and make sure that there’s no soapy water before finishing. Sounds like a lot of work but believe me, you’ll get the right results!
- Squeeze out excess water while being careful not to wring it in a direction that is opposite to the formation of the rug’s fibers. If there is still a lot of water in the rug, it will take a decade to dry! Believe me.
- Place the rug in a flat position and leave it to dry then upturn to the other side after one side has been dried.
Area rugs can be a great addition to your home. However, they need to be properly maintained. Regularly cleaning your area rugs will have them lasting longer while providing the avenue for extreme relaxation and comfort. Always remember, a clean home is a happy home!