Keeping Oriental Rugs Clean
Oriental rugs are precious additions to rooms inside the house. They add a pop of color and bring life to the room. Aside from that, they can also give the room a snugger feeling.
But it’s the complete opposite if you do not keep your oriental rug clean. Instead of feeling warm and cozy you’d end up feeling icky. More so if the rug has been so dirty that it already gives off a smell. This is especially true in the case of authentic oriental rugs since they have already been passed on from generation to generation.
So it is really a must to keep oriental rugs clean. The following are some important things you have to remember:
- Get to know your rug well. Before anything else, find out what type of rug you have in your home. Find out what fabric it’s made of and how it was woven together. This will help you a lot in figuring out what type of care and cleaning you’re supposed to give your rug.
- Regularly clean your rug. Religious cleaning of rugs would keep dust and dirt from gathering into its fibers and at the same time, it will allow you to check for stains or other problems with your rug. This routine will also help bring out the color of the rug.
- Regular cleaning has to stages namely: daily cleaning and deep cleaning. Every day, the routine is for you to run a vacuum cleaner over your rug. You may also opt to use a rug brush. Then once a year, make sure you deep clean your rug. The best way to do so is to hand wash it and air dry.
- As much as possible, try to avoid staining your rug. protect your rug by strategically choosing a good location for it free from common stains from food, drinks, pets and mud. But in case you do stain your rug, be ready to take care of it right away. Don’t let the stain stay for a long time because it becomes more difficult to remove.
- For rug stains, a concoction of water and white vinegar can help a lot. All you have to do is to spray it over the affected area, let it sit for a while, rinse, and dry with an electric fan. You can also use dish washing liquid or any type of detergent.
If you follow these tips, you’d have a prettier oriental rug which can last so much longer.